Whether your daughter is in recreational or competitive gymnastics, she will need leotards. In fact, even if your gym doesn’t require gymnasts to show up in a leo at their first class, your daughter will probably want one.
If she is like most gymnasts, she’ll probably want more than one. Most gymnasts have entire drawers or sections of their closet dedicated to their gymnastics leotard collection.
As a gymnast’s parent, it’s just something you accept. You can learn how to decrease the investment associated with these collections by learning where to find great gymnastics leotards and how to make leotards last longer.
Where to Buy Gymnastics Leotards?
At first, you may be surprised how much leotards cost, especially when you consider how little fabric you get in return. But, eventually, you’ll get used to the cost associated with these garments.
An average training leo can cost $40 to $50, and a competition leo can be significantly more. To save yourself money, you need to learn the best places to buy gymnastics leotards.
1. At Your Gymnast’s Gym
Most gyms sell a limited amount of leos. Usually, these garments are found in the office or lobby area of a gym. In addition to leos, you can usually find shorts, grips, paws, and some at-home equipment at your local gym.
The number one benefit of buying a leo at your daughter’s gym is that she can try it on before you buy. It also allows you to avoid shipping costs associated with online purchases.
The problem with buying leos at a gym is the selection isn’t always the best, and sizes are limited. Some gym managers will order a leo for you, but not all will offer this perk. If you have to special order a leo, it may be more expensive than if you would have ordered it yourself online.
2. Buy Gymnastics Leos Online
There are a ton of gymnastics leotards available online, which means your gymnast can choose a leo that she really wants, and provides you with the best opportunity to shop around for great prices. A huge disadvantage of buying leos online is your daughter won’t get to try it on before you buy.
Since different leo manufacturers have different size charts, you have to carefully measure your daughter every time you order a leo online and make sure to match her measurements to the company’s size chart.
Even after careful measuring, she may not like the way the leo fits or feels when it arrives in the mail. To avoid being stuck with a leo that your gymnast doesn’t want to wear, you need to make sure you read the leo company’s return policy before placing an online order.
Before getting leotards online, you might want to read our very comprehensive leotards buying guide.
And here is the list of places where you can get leotards online:
- GK Elite: The most well-known and respected gymnastics leotard company in the market today. Check out their Amazon store here. Their classic Mystique Tank Leotard is our most favourite. The simple design means that it will never go out of style.
- SnowFlake Designs: They offer great leotards at affordable prices. A lot of people say SnowFlake Designs leos fit great, looks great and well made.
You can order their leotards online through their website. Also make sure to check their Amazon listing out as they usually offer some deals there.
- TumbleWear: It’s another popular small leotard company. TumbleWear offers both long sleeve and short sleeve leos in a variety of colors and sizes.
Gymnasts can choose long sleeve or tank training leos and can even have a custom made leo from this company. They sell online both through their site and Amazon.
- FlipFlop Leos: You may have never heard of FlipFlop Leos, but you should. They specialize in cheap lycra leos that are perfect for training. The business was started by a former gymnastics mom on eBay. All leos are homemade and come in a variety of colors and sizes.
- Others: Amazon is usually the cheapest place to shop for gymnastics leotards online, you can find a lot of variety of leos with great deals there.
However, you have to spend some more time looking around to find the one you want. You can browse through all the leotards from many different brands on Amazon here.
3. Shop for Gymnast’s Leos at Boutique Stores
You can also shop for gymnast’s leos at boutique stores, dance boutiques, and consignment shops. Just like buying a leo at your daughter’s gym. The bonus with buying a leo at these places is your daughter will get to try the leo on before you purchase it.
However, the cons associated with buying a leo from any of these stores is that the selection will likely be extremely limited and the prices will usually be pretty high.
Where do you usually get your leotards?
After all, this may not be the perfect list. If you got your leotard somewhere else, then please share with us how and where you get your leo by leaving a comment below!